Year 2016 in Review and 2017 Resolutions

Jan 17, 2017



I know it is late in January and everybody has already done a post like this, but I needed time to process 2016 ending and to see how my 2017 will start. I know most people don't put much importance on new years resolutions and feel like the start of new year does not change much, but I decided that this year for me it will change a lot.
Last year began on a really bad note, a lot of bad things happened at once right as the year came around. It got better after six months when I made some pretty big changes to my life and in general things around me improved.
My biggest struggle in 2016 was my university. I studied law and it was something I have always thought I wanted. Since I was very young I would always say I am going to be a lawyer, and I was so happy when I was accepted to a law school in Ljubljana. And at first things were great and I enjoyed it a lot, I loved studying and I did not mind that I had to put a lot of my time into it at all.
My subjects were very interesting and I still find them fascinating but I realised with time that this was not something I wanted to do in my life.
And I couldn't see myself doing that at all. I struggled a lot, it was hard for me to even go to my classes and I had a harder time studying. I felt very bad every time I went to uni, I felt very judged there. Honestly, I probably wasn't but the atmosphere there was very negative and highly competitive. I know that the problem was mainly with me, not the actual people around me but since I have left law school I have felt so much better.
It was not a decision I made lightly, I though about it a lot, for months and talked to people about it too. My boyfriend helped me a lot through all of this, and I also started seeing a therapist who helped me understand that law is not something I have to do, especially if it is making me so unhappy.

I always loved makeup, but never thought it was something I would ever pursue. In 2015 and 2016 I fully embraced my love for all things beauty related and eventually realised that this is something I want to do. And at the same time I made the decision that since I want to be a makeup artist I can do it anywhere I want to. I just did not want to stay here, even though it is lovely here it's just not the right place for me. So I started looking at schools abroad and I found the perfect one. It is far away which is perfect and in a good city that will help me with my future carer. Luckily my boyfriend agrees with all of this and wants to go live abroad too so it will be easier and more fun plus less expensive to live there. We set a goal and a rough date on which we want to move and it is all super fun and great.

Leaving school has definitely helped with the way I have felt, but it has also been rough since my parents do not support my decision yet and they do not understand it at all. It is a big change and it will be something completely different and risky but I have to do it. I know they will support me in time, but it is very hard at the moment as I feel like a complete failure.

I have always worked, in an office and this year I decided I need to learn different things and how to deal with customers/people. I am searching for a job now.
There were other changes like my new cat I got with my boyfriend and I am actually blonde again, but those are not as big as the other changes. Oh and I also got a tattoo plus will be getting a new one soon.
I tried travelling as much as I could, but due to school, work and money there was not a lot of travelling in 2016. I went to Belgrade for the new year 2016, Italy to go to an amusement park with friends, to the seaside where we own a house and again to Italy to Florence and Bologna. All of the trips were short and amazing.

Throughout the year I have also realised a lot about myself, some good and definitely some bad. I now know that I am somewhere between an introvert and extrovert but leaning more on the introverted side. It means that sometimes I will love spending time with people and going out and about, but most times I like to be at home with my boyfriend. And it is perfectly ok that I am like that, it is what suits me and gives me comfort. It also means that extremely extroverted people drain my energy and just aren't the people for me, which is also ok.

I think I have gone on long enough about 2016 so here are 2017 promises and goal to myself.

  • Find a job
    I am already working on that, I actually have my first day at work on Friday. I will be working in a cafe/bar. Hopefully it suits me and I do great.

  • Save more
    Along with my job comes saving money. I want to save a lot of money, I saved quite a lot already but there needs to be more. I will save all my receipts and go through them, find out how to save on certain items and maybe find out if I can invest or what I should do. I will need a lot of money for school and life abroad and I am prepared to work hard for it.

  • Research schools and cities
    I want to find all of my options and make an educated decision on where I should go. I also want to research financing options and look into finishing a course here to start working in the makeup industry before leaving.

  • Get a drivers license

  • Skincare
    Since I have been feeling bad in 2016 I kinda gave up on myself and I can notice it in my skin. I really want to revamp my whole skincare routine, I already bought some new items and am now on a hunt for a great face oil. If you guys have any recommendations, let me know!

  • Focus on my blog and Instagram
    Since I want to work with beauty my blog and Instagram are great ways to expand my audience and also learn more and maybe even teach people a bit about what I know. I want to post more frequently, three or four times a week and post on Instagram everyday at least once. I also want to do more fashion posts, I just need to overcome my fear of being photographed.

  • Move more
    I want to move more, not exactly exercise since I hate working out but maybe doing some squats will do me some good. I also want to do yoga or meditate, but at home.

  • Read 60 books
    I want to read 60 books or more. My taste in books isn't really sophisticated, I love criminal novels, mysteries and detective novels. They are my guilty pleasure. I will track my goals through Goodreads, so you can follow me there. I also might do some review here on my blog if people would find that interesting.  (link to Goodreads here) 

  • Self control 
    I am a very organised person but I am very bad at follow through. I will plan everything out but then get to lazy or badly organise my time. I really want to work on this, but have no clue how yet.

  • Travel
    I want to travel more, if it stays within my budget obviously. I love travelling and exploring new cities and hopefully I get to travel more. Some of the countries I want to visit this year are Dublin, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Madrid and Amsterdam.

  • Work on my health


     
    This year was tough, and it left me with gastritis and IBS because of stress. It is nothing serious, I needed to adjust my way of living and watch what I eat. But I really want to work on curing my illnesses and living a better life.
I hope this post did not bore you too much, I know it is quite long and not really beauty related. I promise my next post will be about makeup, I got a new makeup palette as a present.

Leave me a comment with your resolutions, if you have any!


No comments:

Post a Comment