Is the Beauty Blender worth it and how I clean it

Jan 16, 2016

I have always been sceptical about the Beauty Blender and about all of the hype around it. I watched countless videos and read many blogposts about the blender and all of them claimed it gives you amazing skin while not absorbing too much product.

And after about two years of pining over it I finally bought it while I was in Belgrade for New Years celebration. I justified it with telling myself that it was my 'dream' to try it and that I should buy it to test it and write a real review of it on my blog, but after testing it I understand what they were talking about.

The Review and use

The blender comes in a plastic cylinder like container and at a first glance it looks very small and like it cannot do much. After I took it out of the packaging I could not differentiate it between other sponges I have tried and that is quite a lot. But when I put it under the tap, I could really feel and see the difference. The sponge expanded extremely and changed completely. I was really excited to try it out with a foundation and after I did I was disappointed. I was completely struck by the amazing results I got and I was saddened by the fact that I will probably need this sponge for the rest of my life since the price is a little steep for a blending sponge. The Beauty Blender costs 20$ which would be fine if it was a once in a lifetime purchase but I doubt I will be able to stretch the use of it until the day I stop wearing makeup.
I have been using it for about two weeks and as I have stated I have been loving it. I put it under the water and squeeze it a few times so it absorbs as much as it can and then when I turn off the water I squeeze it again a few times so that it only remains damp. Next I dot a few drops of foundation all over my face and then dab my foundation with the bigger part of the blender. I don't really do much blending with it, just dabbing. I work in sections, usually starting with my cheeks and then moving on to my chin and the forehead. While I do my cheeks I also go over my eyelids and the under eye area just so I have an even canvas. For the area around my eyes I use the smaller pointy part of the Beauty Blender.
I use different foundations with it, my MAC Matchmaster foundation, Ultra HD Invisible Cover foundation , Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream or Revlon Colourstay, and it works well with all of them, except I am not sure about the CC cream yet. It works exceptionally with the Matchmaster because it really blends it nicely into my skin, while using just a brush would not give me the same perfect result.

The Cleaning

At first I was cleaning it just with my gentle nivea face wash since it seems to do the job with my brushes. But then I thought about my OCM routine and decided to try it with my blender. I use Johnson& Johnson Baby Oil with lavender  in the same way I use the face wash. I just douse the oil over it an squeeze it a few times. Then after I feel like all of the foundation and other stuff have gone away I wash it with face cleanser to get the oil out of it and then I let it dry.
I also don't feel like it absorbs a lot of product so it is not wasteful.
Here is what the Beauty Blender looks like when extremely dirty, it usually is not like that but I was doing a dramatic eye makeup and I blended the edges of it with my BB.



And here is what it looks like when I wash it, like a brand new sponge. 





The Conclusion

I love love love my Beauty Blender and I will be buying it until I find something alike or better. I do want to try the Miracle Complexion Sponge by Real Techniques.
I feel like the price is a bit too high for the product but I really love it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment